Thursday, July 31, 2014

Do More Great Work Book And How It Looks For Me

Do More Great Work.
Not busy work.
Not even good work.

More great work.
Work that brings you creative satisfaction.
Work that makes you feel accomplished.

That's generally the idea of the book by Michael Bungay Stanier which my daughter gave me to read when I visited her for Match Day in March in NOLA.

I read it while visiting. And the book got me thinking.

What is it that I do at my job that I consider great work? 
What is it that I do in my spare time that I consider great work?

I, of course, know the answer to both of these questions.

I love a good challenge. So any Excel project (or other 'how do I do this and that on computer/iPhone'? category) questions get my brain going. 

About 10 days ago my big boss gave me a project to build a tool which will help our senior managers forecast sales volume easier and more accurately. I recognized my great work right away and started building it.
Spreadsheets quickly started multiplying almost out of control.

Have to stop and think and make a list of things that need to be done consecutively, otherwise, it will be a struggle. I learned this lesson long time ago - while making clothes for people back in Russia.

And the challenge is: how do you guard your thinking time for your great work? The interruptions are there, of course - and all of them are good work, which I am paid for. They are putting fires out, for the most part - but, like I said, I am paid for it.

So, some crazy idea came to mind - how about I will set up an auto response in outlook sending people a message that I am out of office for a day? No, I will be actually in the office, just not working on anything else, but the forecasting tool project. I might just try it.

It is a whole lot easier to make time for my great work outside my job. It has nothing to do with the forecasting tool project, but everything to do with the skill I use to work on it. Yes, you got that right - Excel, of course!
So far I have an Excel course published on Udemy and a YouTube channel devoted to Excel Tutorials.

Here are the videos listed based on popularity. Enjoy!

1. Excel: How To Break Data From One Column Into Two Columns In Excel 2010



2. Excel Tutorial: How To Remove #N/A From Spreadsheet With Excel VLOOKUP Results



3. Excel Tutorial 2013: How To Create PDF Files Using Excel 2013



4. Excel Tutorial: How To Attach A PDF File Into Excel File



5. Excel Tutorial: How To Use Second Copy Of The Same Excel Workbook - Turn Mistake Into Useful Feature Working In Excel.



6. Excel Tutorial: How To Separate Two Words Into Two Columns In Excel 2013



7. Excel Tutorial: How To Create Exact Copy Of Your Excel Spreadsheet - With No Formatting



8. Excel Tutorial: How To Use Hyperlinks To Connect Two Locations In The Same Excel File.



9. Excel Tutorial: How To Update Info Without Formatting Excel Spreadsheet



10. Excel Tutorial: How To Use SumIf Formula To Summarize Your Excel Reports



11. Excel Tutorial: How To Copy By Dragging Without Recalculating in Excel

No comments:

Post a Comment