Saturday, June 16, 2018

How one gets to their Dominican Republic Vacation


I was really excited to book this vacation.

I tried to go to Dom republic in September 2017, but two back to back hurricanes stopped me from going there. As a matter of fact, the second one arrived to Dom republic on the day of my scheduled arrival.

Needless to say, I did not go there then, but ended up in Cancun and ‘suffered’ through it. 
It was a good experience overall and an excellent opportunity to have an end of vacation season trip to Caribbean, but stormy sea and not getting it my way took away from the experience. 

Not to mention, lack of knowledge of Spanish made me feel ignorant and awkward the whole week.

This time I was determined, so without waiting till hurricane season, I decided to go at the beginning of vacation season – starts with Memorial Day here in the US.

I talked about it to my hairdresser and she said multiple times, that if I were to go to Dom republic, it had to be on the Caribbean side, not Atlantic side.

I actually listened!



It took some digging around vacation rentals sites but I did find a great deal for a studio right on the beach on this vacation booking site. You can scroll down to see the pictures now, or just keep reading.

Can you tell that I was excited to have that vacation when I booked it in mid-March 2018?

Well, a lot happened between mid-March and the day of the trip.

I spent the whole month before the trip struggling with conflicting emotions about a sad event in my family.
From disappointment to anger (at myself), from lots of unknowns to resolve to trust God, from being upset with somebody else’s choices to understanding that my behavior needs to change too so I can become a part of solution instead of being part of the problem.

Then the night before the trip came around and my worst suspicions were not just confirmed, situation was actually much more severe and better at the same time – given that between the worst part and suspicions and my knowledge about it a whole month of hard internal work took place.

For that I am grateful. Big time.
My God never disappoints, that much I can openly and boldly say.

My flight to Punta Cana was uneventful. Coming from Atlanta any airport seems small, Punta Cana one was not an exception.

I read on Southwest Airlines website before the flight that all tourists from the US are supposed to purchase a tourist card upon arrival for a 30 day stay - $10. I was determined to do just that.

I am sure there is a competition between taxi drivers who gets passengers – people have to make a living one way or another, so I found myself being walked toward a vehicle, negotiating the price of the ride – it takes an hour to get to Bayahibe where my studio was, and on my way even before I had a chance to find where tourist cards were sold.

About 15 minutes into the drive I remembered about the tourist card. It took some persuasion but I got my driver to go back to the airport to get the card.

No one – not my driver, not his manager, not people who worked tour kiosk – I mean no one had any idea what I was talking about. Finally my driver after a short conversation with his manager took me to Southwest Airlines local office.

In the office I got my confirmation that I did not need a tourist card to be in Dom republic legally – the rules had been changed about a month before my arrival.

Considering what was going on in my life the whole month before the trip and the night before the trip, my emotions were pushed to the limit, and yes, I did cry when I had to make my driver turn around and go back to the airport, and on and off until I arrived to my vacation place early enough to enjoy two good hours of swimming.

... To be continued.

Oh, pictures of the pier with chairs and first morning view from my balcony are below. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment