Monday, June 18, 2018

Want to guess what my new Russian friend’s name is?


On the first night at Cadaques Caribe I took my book and went to find a place to read. It’s a habit of mine to do reading and reflection while on vacation at the beach.

So, I went toward the beach in the dusk and realized, that the deck under the hut which has stairs leading into the water actually had lights on – so I could read a regular paperback!

In addition to that there were a number of blue lights shining into the water. The fish congregate to the light and of course, people feed them. That’s quite a show to watch them.


The next morning, I woke up to the sound of waves and the ocean view from my bed.

As much as I love beach vacations, I must tell you that I struggled all the way through 9 days that I spent in Bayahibe, Dom Republic.

Stress of the previous month and especially the night before the trip knocked me off balance emotionally to the extent that I actually bounced between not wanting to be there and realizing that being at home was pointless on one hand and impossible to manage on the other, as I gave my car to my son for the next 10 days, and he was expected to come back home one day after my return from vacation.

Back to the things I enjoy about beach vacation so much.


That view that I saw from my bed was definitely calling my name, so off I went. The narrow ‘streets’ and the warm air were so welcoming!

When I was already on the deck, wind took my hat off and threw it on the steps leading to the water. A security guard, who was right there caught it for me.

That security guard was extremely kind to me the whole time of my vacation. From my conversations with him I realized, that that’s simply who he is – a kind person who treats every guest the same. With hospitality and kindness.



He has my cat’s picture for the wall picture on his phone now. This is just a sweet and funny tidbit of my first Dom republic trip 😊

One more unexpected and pleasant thing happened on day one.
I am very used to meeting Russian people everywhere I go on vacation.
This time was no exception.

I heard a child’s voices saying in Russian ‘wow – look at that’. The little boy was snorkeling right in front of what appeared to be rows of rocks in the water. I saw those dark spots in the water on the pictures of thestudio and the location on booking.com, but did not realize that it was not sea weeds, but rocks.




When I actually was close to those ‘rocks’ in the water, I realized that they are man-made concrete structures to allow reef to grow and give fish place to live. That’s when I really regretted not taking my snorkeling gear with me.



Later I put my iPhone into a waterproof plastic pouch that I did take with me from home and fish have not disappointed me – they gathered around me and I have this video to remember that daily show.





I greeted the little boy’s mom in Russian and asked her name. She is my third Russian friend with the same name – Olga.

I must say, that usually I don’t make any friends while on vacation. It’s not like don’t communicate to people at all, but I think that everyone comes to their vacations with their own ideas of how and with whom they will spend their time there, and making friends is simply not what people have in mind.

But this time I did make friends with Olga. It started with small talk, but pretty quickly we were talking about our families and how to parent boys – Olga has two sons, so she has plenty of experience to share.

She did give me some good advice and introduced me to two Russian couples who used the same tour agency for their Dom Republic vacation. Those people were also very welcoming and accepting of me and a friend I made on day two.

But this is a story for next time.

Stay tuned!

… To be continued.

*oh, if you go to Amazon from this blog post and purchase something, I will get commission ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment