Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Dominican Republic Caribbean Vacation - Day One with Eve


The day started as expected – with sunny calm weather and a gorgeous sea view from my bed.



I actually had a good coffee maker and yes, spent some crazy money at the food mart located right on the resort property when buying coffee.

I think the sales person makes up prices as she goes.

I spent quite a bit of money there on my first night when I was not emotionally stable because of events of the previous month and what happened on my way to the resort.

As of this writing, just over 3 weeks after the events, I actually got an apologetic phone call from Southwest Airlines that inaccurate info on their website caused me some stress during my vacation!
This is one more reason I will stay loyal to Southwest, just love how they treat their customers. 😊

Back to prices in Dom Republic.

I am very glad that I did some research about being a tourist there.
What I found out is – when I ask about price, rule number one is to always remember to bargain, because the locals name very high prices on everything when they realize that they speak to a tourist.

That worked very well for me when hiring a taxi to take me to theresort, but I completely forgot about it when shopping for coffee, wine and chocolate on the first night. All I cared for was that all of it was available.
Big mistake. Never to be repeated again kind of mistake. 😊

So, after a cup of good local coffee made in my apartment, off to the beach I went. My friend Olga was on the dock already enjoying the sea and after a short conversation with her I went swimming. That is how my morning went all the way till lunch time.

I spent a lot of time in the water swimming to the deep water, marveling at how clear it was far away from the shore. I got into trouble with a security guard as they did not want people swimming all the way into boat routes, as it is most definitely not safe.

Olga left for lunch a little earlier as her son was bored on the dock so she followed him to the resort water park. That is when a young woman came up to me and started talking to me in rather broken English.
We started talking and she asked if she can make me company for lunch. We spent about two hours in the restaurant together enjoying the food and the scenery.


Both Eve (was her name) and I were renters of condos and did not technically qualify for all inclusive buffet, which included tiny pastries and fresh cut fruit. Dessert buffet looked so incredibly good!

Eve and I asked our server if we could have some, expressed readiness to pay.
Our server went to talk to his shift manager to find out what to do about our request.
The manager went to check with the Chef, and we were granted permission to have dessert on the house! This became our daily game during lunch, and each time the Chef was gracious to let us enjoy ripe fresh fruit and delicious pastries.


It still amazes me that I got two friends on this vacation.
Both of them were kind to listen to my story of the previous month and candid about their experiences.

Eve does not have children and will not have any if she stays married to her husband.
She is happy in the marriage, so I told her that not having children is not necessarily a tragedy, things could be really grim when children become completely different adults than their parents had hoped they would.

That can be quite painful and make parents question if their efforts and years of life were wasted while raising that child.

Earlier in the day when talking to me Olga looked at the issue of why some young people struggle to find their path in life, comprehensively – how we feel physically and emotionally is largely dependent on how well we take care of our bodies.

This is where a lot of problems start. It looks innocent and everybody is inclined to give themselves permission to indulge in food and sweets and be a lazy coach potato. But results can be devastating both physically and psychologically.

Being fat (overweight, obese – whatever term applies to your particular life) is only a tip of the iceberg. What’s hidden are consequences of this imbalance. Fat cells in a human body become a source of chemicals which throw off balance many processes regulating our physical and emotional well-being.

What seems to be an innocent indulgence leads to lack of motivation, low self esteem and loss of purpose in life.
Yes, it is that serious. We are created to be lean and able to be of service to others.

As attractive as it seems, constant entertainment and indulgence don’t lead to better satisfaction with life, quite the opposite – lack of meaningful activity leads to loss of purpose in life and joyless existence.

… To be continued.

Oh, if you purchase any products on the site where they sell that nice coffee maker, I will get commission 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment